A recipe for pop cakes

What on earth are pop cakes, you may well be wanting to ask. A valid question.

Let me explain: I set out to veganise a recipe for rock cakes. The end result turned out to be a bit more of a lighter, fluffier version of the traditional rock cakes I remembered my mum making as a kid. And what's lighter and fluffier than rock? Pop!

Pop cakes

Ingredients

50 g sultanas, soaked in tea for as long as you can be bothered
115 g self raising flour
50 g vegan margarine
Pinch of baking powder
Pinch of salt
Couple of pinches of cinnamon
Little squeeze of lemon juice
Soy milk


How you do it

Put the marge and flour in a bowl and rub through your fingers until the mixture turns into something that looks a bit like breadcrumbs
Add the sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and sultanas (feel free to skip the tea soaking if you're short of time) to the mixture and stir.
Add the milk. Alas, I was making this recipe with a massive hangover and I don't have a measuring jug, so I can't give you an exact measure of how much goes in. I tried weighing it and you're looking at around 40 or 50g in weight. Alternatively, just add milk a glug at a time until the mixture looks a decent thick consistency.
Put the mixture in big dessertspoonfuls onto a greased baking tray and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned.

Serve with a big-assed cup of tea.

Comments

Popular Posts